Entry to Japan

General guidelines

Please complete the necessary entry procedures after consulting with the local government with jurisdiction over the area in which your pre-Games training camp is located and with the facility operator. Please also contact a Japanese embassy or consulate in your country for further details of requirements for entry to Japan.


The type of visa that athletes and officials will need to enter Japan, if any, depends on the traveller’s country (region) of citizenship and the purpose and duration of the visit.Open in new window
Japan does not require citizens of certain countries (regions) to obtain a visa for stays of 90 days or less during which they will not be receiving compensation for work performed. See the list of countries and regions whose citizens are eligible for visa exemptions at the following URL:http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.htmlOpen in new window.
Review detailed information about entry procedures at the following URL and apply to a Japanese embassy or consulate overseas with the required documentation: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.htmlOpen in new window. (For a list of addresses of Japanese embassies and consulates and their business hours, see http://www.mofa.go.jp/about/emb_cons/mofaserv.htmlOpen in new window).

Bringing luggage and pharmaceuticals into Japan

The importation of boats, horses, firearms, and ammunition into Japan is subject to restrictions and regulations, as is the personal importation of pharmaceuticals. We will provide more detailed information online as soon as it becomes available.


No vaccinations are required in order to enter Japan.